Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > Who's the Boss? Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction Comments

Fan Fiction Comments Read a Fan Fiction on WTB?R that you really like? Talk about it here!

Unread 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Fan Fic Section Guidelines

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to the guidelines either. I know that Jason was working on parts of the site, so they may be under construction and not accessible for right now. But you aren't the first to ask, so I'll post here for all:

Quote:
There are some guidelines that Jason (our site owner) has for this section but when I went to the page to make a link for you I got an error message, which means he must have taken them off temporarily while he's working on the site. So I'll see if I can basically tell you what they are.

1. The site only allows the content of stories to be consistent with what we might have seen on the show. So a lot of violence or a lot of sex or deviant behavior, things like that are not allowed. We do allow Mona to be written as she was written on the show but no further. It's pretty much a rated G, maybe PG at most kind of site.

2. The site does not allow stories to be written involving the actual actors (as in Tony Danza and Judith Light or anyone else who was on the show). We may only write about the characters.

3. You must put a disclaimer at the beginning of your story in the author's notes section stating that the characters do not belong to you. It can be as simple as 'these characters do not belong to me I'm just using them' worded anyway you want to, or you can copy and paste this more formal disclaimer:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

And that's about it. Other than that, authors can write pretty much anything they desire, and may vary from the show and the ideas in the show as much as they want. I would say to new writers to expect reviews after you've written your story, and some reviewers here will give a well rounded critique to offer well deserved praise and/or tips for improvement, so be prepared for that. I hope authors will welcome the constructive criticism, because it is usually very helpful, from some of the really good writers who know what they're talking about.

If you look at the fanfic section you'll see a list of types of stories. Here's what they mean:

Scripts = This is the section to put your writing if you wrote in the form of a script or a play. "Alternate reality" scripts go here too. AR means you're taking our characters and putting them in a totally different reality, as in a fantasy story, sci fic story, or another time period not in their lifetime, things like that.
Stories = an original fan fiction story written in story form; "alternate reality" stories go here too.
Crossovers = an original fan fiction story that crosses over with another TV show.
Spin-Offs = If you write an original script or story for a spin-off of WTB, it goes here. A spin off uses one or more of the same characters in a different story/show idea.
The Round Robin = This is if you want to start a story and let others (anybody who wants to) write parts of it so that many authors add to the story and complete it. It's open to anyone at all who wants to add a part.
Poetry = I think that's pretty self explanatory...
Transcripts = a word for word script of an episode. This is not an original writing, it's just a place for people to transcribe an episode if they wish to and have the time. There's several there, so we ask that people pick one that isn't already there and make it an accurate word for word transcription (not by memory).

There's also an articles section (genre) and any articles that members want to submit to the site should be posted there to be added to the article archives. I'll then post an announcement the same way I do for fanfic stories.

So the first thing writers need to do is register for an account in the fanfic section if they haven't already, then when the story is written and ready to post, go to "account info" and follow the directions there.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Kathe
Bronze Member

I have a question.

If we have submitted a story, and the site administrators find it too risque for this site, do we receive some sort of notification that it cannot be posted?

I ask because I submitted a story a week ago was a little bit worried that a part or two might not be appropriate here, and I haven't heard anything back.

Forgive me if I am being too impatient.
Unread 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Yes, you'll receive notification if it can't be posted as is. After that, you have a couple of choices. You can edit some of your story to make it suitable for the site if you want, or you can post it on an outside site and tell the members here that it's there.

I did see your story there and it will be posted soon. I'm the only one who does the fanfic approving, so it often has to wait until my day off work. I also try to avoid posting all the stories in the queue at once because stories tend to get lost in the shuffle that way, I think. (Although I could do that if you guys would rather). I like to post a story and let it be in the spotlight for at least a couple of days so it can be found and read and reviewed some before I put another up. I think there's four stories in there now, and I try to post by when they were submitted; I think there might be one in there before yours, which I'll post today because today is my day off.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Kathe
Bronze Member

Thank you. That is what I needed to know.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think posting them one at a time is the way to go, for the reasons you stated. I enjoy reading the other writers here. There is so much talent.