Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > General Topics > General Discussions

General Discussions Come here to talk about any topic you would like to discuss! No spamming, please.

Unread 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
ReJoys2
WTB? Expert

On topic - Off topic - Whatever!

On topic: Dreamtonette, I wanted to write this in a separate topic so as not to distract from focusing on Madewy in the topic In Memory of Judith Knecht... . Thank you for the comment you left about my post. I'm glad to have the opportunity to get to know you. I'm reading some posts, little by little. I know I'll never catch up on all I've missed these past several years, but it's nice to be home again and I look forward to getting to know some of the folks I haven't met before.

Off topic: Being a member-in-good-standing of the Word Police, I looked up "folk vs folks" before posting this topic, just to be grammatically correct, mind you. I've always understood that "folk" was correct, but that many folk use "folks." After reading some definitions, I am more confused than before about what's correct. So, when in Rome, or translated, when you're in the south, do as the southerners do, Folks!!!
ReJoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
dreamtonette
Diamond Member

ReJoys, I'm very touched by your message! I've known you by name just from being a member of this site for the last few years (and lurking for years before that) so it's nice to finally "meet" you. It's been a little quiet over here so it's always nice to see people come back and to get to know people better. We're all united by something pretty special and I'm definitely thankful to be a part of it. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

And to be on topic with your off-topic bit...I was an English major but I'd say "folks" over "folk" Who knows? I'm also from the northeast so I guess that it extends beyond the south
dreamtonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
ReJoys2
WTB? Expert

So happy to make your acquaintance, dreamtonette. Also happy to have another English major to turn to for expert advice. Not that I'm an English major, but we've had a few on here before. Seems like Elmeistier may have been one of them. Anyone remember for sure? Even some of us who aren't majors still have that inborn instinct to get it right--the English language, that is. It's just one of those things that if it isn't right, it makes you uncomfortable. I like being able to "play" with it too, especially somewhere like these forums where we can inject humor and lightheartedness. But, I fear I'm rambling, so I'll get back on topic.

You mentioned being a lurker before you became a member. I suspect there are more of those out there, don't you? Well, they are welcome too, just to browse, or to come in and join us. One thing's for sure about this site. It's a good blend of east, west, north, and south, and as you said, united by something pretty special.
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

Nice to see you back on the forum, Rejoys! We have "met" though I never got to know you well because I think you had started to withdraw from the site just as I was becoming active on here again. I never even knew some people considered the plural to be "folk". That's my newly learned fact-o-the-day. On a related note, the plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac, not cul-de-sacs. I only know that from watching Gilmore Girls.

I don't know if Elmeister was an English major, but I do know she worked as a journalist at one point. We'd discussed it while I was working writing for newspapers. I share your instinct to "get it right." Internet speak drives me nuts sometimes, but I am also guilty of using it on occasion.
mich_l81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
ReJoys2
WTB? Expert

I do remember your name from my old days, mich_l81. And you gave me a fact-o-the-day, too. I didn't realize that cul-de-sac was the same, singular or plural. I guess I just never had occasion to refer to more than one cul-de-sac at a time, even though I've always lived on one (two) since I've been a home owner, and you don't want to know how long that has been. I'm sure I would have gotten that one wrong, so thanks for saving me a red face--in case I ever do need to use the plural.

I agree that Internet speak can drive one crazy, and that we're probably all guilty of using it at times. If I was tech-savy and used texting, I would probably have to learn some of the abbreviations and they would probably give me the heebie-jeebies. There, I'm telling on myself, that I'm still stuck in the dinosaur days when it comes to telephones. When my old phone finally gave up the ghost, my daughter gave me her older one to use. It works fine for me and I don't get headaches from trying to learn about a new gadget. We bought a new car with satellite navigation system and now it's hard to go anywhere new without getting lost. Our other car had navigation where a live person talked to you and then a voice called out the directions. The system we have now is probably what most people use, but for us, it takes two to operate it at the most basic level and I find it so frustrating. If we ever get another new car, I want to go back to On-Star--it's so much easier!

See you around the forums, michl. Thanks for the welcome back.
Unread 11-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
OakHillsDrive
WTB? Expert

New Job

I am so excited to tell you all that I am now working as a teacher. Who would have thunk I?. I have an awesome group of four/five year olds that I work with everyday. I remember thinking all those years ago about the smile that came Tony's face when he realized that that was what he wanted to do for a living. It was incredible to realize that same smile was on mine.

Without even realizing it, the first time one of them had a birthday I found myself singing out loud, "It's somebodies birthday..."
OakHillsDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

That's awesome Ilda. I was a teacher before Tony decided to become one, so I loved those episodes for the same reasons you did, just opposite order.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #8
dreamtonette
Diamond Member

Every so often I check these boards...it makes me sad to know it's not the hub of activity it once was, but I'm always glad to see when people still check in here and there. Awesome to hear your news Ilda! And reading that actually inspired me to rewatch a ton of WTB? this weekend. It's been awhile...but as soon as the theme song came on it felt like coming home. I don't watch it as often as I used to...it had been months since the last time, and even longer before that. But it's comforting to know the show will always be a part of me..and that it's growing with me (I don't remember It Happened One Summer being as hot as it felt to me now, as an adult, for example). So Ilda'a post inspired me to revisit To Tony, With Love and Sleep Talk, Sweet Talk...and then I just kept going from there. I'm glad this show will always be here when I need it...and it's wonderful to remember that other people feel the same way too
dreamtonette is offline   Reply With Quote