Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > WTB?R/WTB?R Forums Support & Feedback > Ideas for WTB?R

Ideas for WTB?R Post any any ideas you have for The Who's the Boss? Resource or WTB?R Forums here.

Unread 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
Primbud
Diamond Member

The hosts are the clue crew and backstage workers too. We create the categories and the clues and essentially run it.
A conestant picks a category, like 'Who's the Boss?' and an amount, 'for 200'. We reveal that clue. A contestant responds in question form. If they're correct, they get the points and control of the board so they can select the next category and clue amount. If they were incorrect, they lose the points and anyone else can try it. Best to try it fast before anyone else gets in. This is why it can get hectic but fun with more contestants. Only the first one in gets the full points.
In rare cases, the response isn't Exactly what was needed or expected as a correct response and the host may ask for 'high specificity' - in this case, the person replying should get another opportunity before someone else swoops in and nabs points on the clue in question.

Example:

Contestant: Can I have 'internet usernames' for 200 please?

Host: 'This user is being replied to right now'

Any contestant (Judy): 'Who is sandrine?'

Host: Sorry, no, you lose 200.

Another contestant (Bob): 'Who is Listner?'

Host: Correct. You have 200. And can choose our next clue.

Bob: Can I have 'Forum Game Explanations' for 200 please?

Host: 'This user explained some Jeopardy rules?'

A contestant (Judy): 'Who is Prim?'

Host: Be more specific, please.

Judy: 'Who is Primbud?'

Host: Correct.

Bob: I was being a nice contestant - I didn't swoop in to say 'Who is Primbud' while you were being more specific, Judy.

Judy: Gee, thanx.

Bob: Let's go out. Meet me at 3345 Oak Hills Drive.

Judy: Pfft, in your dreams.

Furthermore, if the clue itself is wrong, we just move on, discarding the inaccurate clue and disavowing any point awards, unless the host deems different.
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Listner
WTB? Expert

Thank you for the example.

I was curious how it would work when some of us are moderated and some of us aren't. But if someone has control of the Board and gets to answer before they continue or before someone else takes control than I understand how it would work.
Listner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
Primbud
Diamond Member

Now I don't understand about the 'moderated' part. Do you mean about the delay in posting - yes, that can be a problem I guess - how to work around that?
Unread 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Primbud
Diamond Member

It's now about 75% complete.

Here's how much I love 'Who's the Boss?':

I went to two particular episodes to gather some clue material for Jeopardy!. Instead, I found myself forgetting all about Jeopardy! just enjoying the eps. Oof - then, I had to watch them again for the clue material, my initial intent in watching them at that time in the first place!

Last edited by Primbud; 10-05-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Primbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Primbud
Diamond Member

Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listner View Post
I was curious how it would work when some of us are moderated and some of us aren't. But if someone has control of the Board and gets to answer before they continue or before someone else takes control than I understand how it would work.
I guess I can't control that forum feature except to ask the admins and mods to ramp up their reviews or let these posts slide and enter them as quickly as possible, so unfortunately, it seems I can't worry about that and have to let this thing proceed.

This thing is almost ready to begin. What I want to know is, using Eastern Time, when is a good time for everyone to be online together during the day??
Unread 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primbud View Post
I went to two particular episodes to gather some clue material for Jeopardy!. Instead, I found myself forgetting all about Jeopardy! just enjoying the eps. Oof - then, I had to watch them again for the clue material, my initial intent in watching them at that time in the first place!
That happens to me all the time too when I'm putting together diversions. It's only when I get to the very end of the episode and notice the empty pad of paper in my lap that I remember I was supposed to be doing something else.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the moderating part of the forum and your game. It's not possible in the software I don't think to allow posts to go unmoderated in just one thread...
I know that we try very hard to get posts up quickly, and I think we do pretty well with that. It's a little slower on the weekends than the weekdays. Is there any way this can work with Listner's idea of someone having control of the board? Or you can just start and see how it works out I guess. The posts will go up in the order they were submitted whether they're being moderated or not, so you just may get a late post in the middle of the game occasionally.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Primbud
Diamond Member

Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
The posts will go up in the order they were submitted whether they're being moderated or not
That's important. As long as that holds true, the only problem we'll have is that game will lag.

I also guess the time doesn't matter then. Therefore, I'll get the game up and running this week (maybe even today) ...
Unread 10-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Well, and you might have someone answering something someone else already answered but they didn't know someone else already answered it because the post was in the queue...
Then when we approve it, you'll have someone popping in an answer before the person you thought answered first

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Unread 10-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
Primbud
Diamond Member

All Posts Are Monitored First, or Only Some??

Wouldn't it come in after anyway?? Or is it that not All posts are monitored this way - only some ... if only some, it still might work because the time will be stamped on it. The host will only take the first response according to the forum timestamp. Do you think this will work?
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Hmmm, not sure what you mean, but what happens is the usernames that are magenta (like yours) have posts that go through the moderating process, and the names that are either navy blue (like Listner's in this thread) or red (like mine) have posts that go up automatically. So there's a possibility that a magenta username posted an answer first but you'll only see all the regular members' (navy names) posts until we approve whatever's in the queue. Then all the magenta names posts are slipped in the line in the order that they posted. So you may end up with a double answer because a magenta person answered but it's in the queue and then a navy person comes along, doesn't see anything, and answers the question. So later, when we approve posts, the magenta person's answer is slipped in ahead of the navy person's answer. Make sense? But anyway, I'd go ahead and start and see how it goes anyway. Although we might lag a little once or twice, we're pretty good about getting things up pretty quickly.

-Mary Ann

Last edited by Anneli; 10-05-2008 at 06:06 PM.