Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > General Topics > General Discussions

General Discussions Come here to talk about any topic you would like to discuss! No spamming, please.

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
TonyandtheDreamtones
Golden Member

Bone Marrow donor?

So... I didn't know where to post this but...
I am thinking about becoming a bone marrow donor but my parents are not too crazy about the idea. I can't donate my blood because I'm 19 and I'm like a couple of pounds under the 100 so I was wondering if someone here could give me their point of view if you are yourself a donor for exemple.
Thank you in advance, I hope it was okay I posted this here...
Unread 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
dazdeadpetal
Diamond Member

Like you, I am under the weight limit for donation of blood, but I am a registered eye and organ donor as well as a bone marrow donor. I think that being a donor (however you choose to do so), is a great thing. If ever called to do so, I would gladly help. My whole family signed up for the bone marrow donation in 2005 when my then one-year-old cousin was diagnosed with Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis, a very rare disease. Although he passed away in late 2006, we hope that our being on the registry might help some other child in the future.

Good luck with your decision.

Emily
"If there is a horizontal line that runs from the map off your body straight through the land shooting up right through my heart; Will this horizontal line, when asked know how to find where you end, where I begin?"
--Your Cloud by Tori Amos

Last edited by Anneli; 06-09-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: deleted unnecessary quote
dazdeadpetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Listner
WTB? Expert

I signed up in 1996 in Washington DC. I was in Washington DC to see the inauguration. The local NBC affiliate was having a health fair and the testing was free of charge because the NBC was paying for it. Normally it costs upwards of a hundred or more dollars to get tested. They took some blood and I am listed in their database. I get an update magazine from them with information about what is going on with them and stories about recipients.

Odds are I will never match anyone but I am very happy knowing I am listed and that if I ever do match I will be able to help.
Listner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
TonyAngela4ever
Diamond Member

Well, I'm not registered, but I sure would like to be someday. I've donated blood several times and no where near being underweight. But, my main advice is just do some research on it. Talk to your family doctor. If this is something that is truly in your heart to do, then I say go for it. I'm not sure why your family is opposed or unsure about it; it could be that they're just nervous or scared for you and that's perfectly understandable. But what really matters is what is in your heart. Good luck; I'll be praying for you in this decision.
TonyAngela4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Listner
WTB? Expert

He is the link to how I am registered: Be the Match!

One more comment about your question: I LOVE this Forum for so many reasons and this is one of them...bigger than a Television show...we communicate on here on so many levels about so many things...although we are here because of a Television show...we stay for so many other reasons!

One more time: Bravo Jason!
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
TonyandtheDreamtones
Golden Member

Thank you all so much for the answers !
And TonyAngela4ever, my family is not really opposed to that but it's just that I'm not physically very strong (sometimes I have troubles eating because I'm too sensitive). Nothing too serious but they just wouldn't want me to do something that would weaken me more.
But I really would like to do it and all your answers have helped me a lot. Thank you all !!! And thank you Jason too ;-)
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
TonyAngela4ever
Diamond Member

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's understandable, too. This is probably where your family physician would be most helpful. He or she could examine you and tell you whether or not you'd be a good fit for it. If you're not a good fit now, maybe you could be later; who knows.

Good luck and I really admire you wanting to help out like this. I've never been in this situation myself and I can't even imagine what it would be like to sit and wait to see if I or my loved one would find a match. But, whether or not your doctor okays you to look into this further, the fact that you're even willing to try and look into it is admirable. It's so comforting to know that there are people who care.
TonyAngela4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Listner
WTB? Expert

If you come up as a match they don't do anything until you once again say you are willing to do so. Then they check you out throughly and only if you are healthy and able to complete the procedure without harm to yourself do they then go ahead and make the arrangements.

As I mentioned before I've been listed for fifteen years and I have never been contacted by them for anything.
Unread 06-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
TonyandtheDreamtones
Golden Member

Thank you both Listner and TonyAngela4ever ! And thank you for the nice comment !
It's a good idea I'm going to ask our family doctor. I already asked a nurse who is in my night art class and she's going to give me all the informations. Thanks a lot for your help all, this is very nice :-)
Unread 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Listner
WTB? Expert

I think it's wonderful that you are aware, have an open mind and are getting information. You know one of the best things you can do in life (about anything) is to ask questions and get information! You go girl!