Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > General Topics > TV & Movie Talk

TV & Movie Talk Is there another TV show, besides Who's the Boss?, that you enjoy watching? See a good movie recently? Talk about it here!

Also, use this forum to announce an upcoming television/movie/stage appearance that a cast/guest member has appeared in.

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
murphy7295
WTB? Expert

Downton Abbey

So, for those who are hooked like me. What did you think of the first episode of the new series?
I thought they were making more of an effort to make us like Mary.
murphy7295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
jmar
WTB? Expert

Definitely! But 'the war's on' you know, so everyone's got to pitch in. Two hours is a bit long, but I guess there was a lot of ground to cover. What about your take on Lavinia? Is she too nice for Downton? Lady Violet refers to Lavinia as the future 'queen of Downton' - surely Matthew needs someone with more spice & energy....Actually, I've always liked Mary. Edith is nasty & foolish; Sybil is too starry-eyed, but I guess that's just her youth. Mary is the one who is most injured by the entail. She's hurt that her father wouldn't fight it & change it somehow so that she could inherit the estate; in her mind, her father didn't even try even a little. Then Matthew comes along to inherit & take everything away (remember Mr. Collins in P&P?). So of course, Mary is bitter - & then they tell her to marry Matthew - well, Mary is headstrong enough to never do as she's told. Yes, she's a schemer, but nothing the likes of Edith & O'Brien & Thomas the footman, I mean, acting Sergeant!

Episode 2moved along nicely - quite the battle is shaping up at Downton with Cora & Isobel - Lady Violet must be in heaven
jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
madewy
WTB? Expert

I actually liked Edith last night and thought the praise she recieved was well deserved. There seems to be more depth to all of them this season, I suppose because of the tragedy of the war.
I was very happy to see Robert assert himself with Matthew's mother last night! I guess I was just happy to see Robert assert himself period.
I'm sorry to say jmar that I truly dislike Mary, although, like the other characters she is redeeming herself somewhat now the war is on. But basically she is headstrong, which I do not associate with being a 'women's libber' or more for the times a woman's activist. I associate it more with being a mean spirited, spoiled brat. She is my least favorite main character, constantly flip flopping on the men in her life...alive and dead.

PS: Thomas is a schemer? I think he is a loyal, trusted servant looking out for his master's well being. We sure do see things from opposite sides of the building, don't we? But at least all three of us can agree it is rare, quality entertainment, right ladies?
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Gee, I hate it when I miss the good stuff... there's so little good stuff on anymore.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
jmar
WTB? Expert

PBS is replaying it all week at various times. DA won a Golden Globe
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
sitcomgirl
WTB? Expert

I've seen a lot of different people post about this show but I have no idea what it about.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
jmar
WTB? Expert

I'm sorry we disagree about Mary, Madewy, but maybe you'll like her more as season 2 progresses There was one time in season 1 when I would have slapped Mary: when she told her mother Cora that she (Cora) would never understand because she's an American...ooooh that irked me no end! I admit to being an Anglophile, but she almost pushed me too far! Are you confusing my comment about Thomas the schemer with Carson the loyal butler? I think Edith shows some promise, but she did try to get involved with a married man (Mr Drake).....she definitely suffers from middle child syndrome, always overlooked, everyone worried about Mary's future (& the estate) & youngest child Sybil, Edith indeed gets short-shrift.
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
murphy7295
WTB? Expert

I agree that Thomas is a schemer. He would have been sacked for stealing if he hadn't enlisted. Thomas is always looking out for Thomas. The only reason he advocated Cora to assist Isobel in running the convalescence facility is because he knew Isobel didn't like or trust him.
I also don't like how Cora is so easily manipulated by O'Brien, who is another one who's looking out for herself before anyone else.
...and the plot thickens
murphy7295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
PBS is replaying it all week at various times. DA won a Golden Globe
Are they replaying it from season one? Because I have this weird thing where I can't enter a series in the middle... I have to watch something from the pilot and on or else I won't watch it until it goes syndication or reruns where I can watch from the beginning. Needless to say I miss a lot of stuff, but I'd rather miss it than feel like I'm wasting time trying to figure out what's going on. Don't have the patience for it. Maybe it's on my on demand though... as much as I hate Comcast, they do have awesome on demand programming.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
madewy
WTB? Expert

They are replaying season one an hour before they play the new episodes of season two but you must hurry because you already missed part I of season I.

And yes, I did confuse loyal and trustworthy Carson with that low life opportunist, Thomas. He's a looker but my mom always said, 'Pretty is as pretty does.' Sorry about that jmar. My only defense is that is one big cast.