Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > General Topics > TV & Movie Talk

TV & Movie Talk Is there another TV show, besides Who's the Boss?, that you enjoy watching? See a good movie recently? Talk about it here!

Also, use this forum to announce an upcoming television/movie/stage appearance that a cast/guest member has appeared in.

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
jmar
WTB? Expert

I admit I cried during episode 4; WWI was a huge milestone in warfare. It was the first use of mass-destruction (mustard gas) & death was usually painful & slow.....& the inhumanity of gas warfare was part of the impetus to develop even more destructive weaponry: the atomic bomb. So I cried a bit, for the characters, but also for all of us
jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #22
madewy
WTB? Expert

All war is senseless but I do think Downton Abbey is very successful in displaying the futility of that particular war. I read that more than ten million soldiers died with very little ground being lost or won.

The series does a great job of bringing life to those old, stilted images we have all seen in history books and in antiquated films of the times.

I cried too.
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
jmar
WTB? Expert

I had always found Daisy to be annoying, but she's grown on me this season, as has Mrs. Patmore; they seem to be very down-to-earth people, well Daisy not so much, but still...

Isobel is also different this season, going too far with Cora, feeling so superior, but maybe war brings out the worst in all of us! His Lordship just seems like a lost puppy at this point; he can't go to war, but he walks around in a uniform all the time. I know over in the world of fanfiction, there are multiple stories of the Sybil/Branson love story, but I don't really see it in the series. Sybil is young & wanting to be useful, but Branson gets on my nerves. He was too starry-eyed to think the Romanovs would be spared! So does anyone like Lavinia? She's too blah for me! I'm still rooting for Matthew & Mary
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
madewy
WTB? Expert

jmar: "...I'm still rooting for Matthew & Mary."

Yeah, me too...Mary deserves his pushy, frosty mother as a mother in law!
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
jmar
WTB? Expert

Now, I know from previous posts that you don't speak from first-hand experience, Madewy!! I do, but I suffer in silence I know you don't like Mary you've said so, but I rewatched Epi 4 last night & the way she handled herself with Matthew spoke volumes to me. She was brave & kind; she was discreetly honest with Matthew about his wounds, but she held it together until she walked away; she was kind to Isobel. I understand why she's Carson's favorite - I think he's seen her multiple personalities from the time she was a little girl!

They start filming Season 3 on Feb14 Yay!!
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
murphy7295
WTB? Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
They start filming Season 3 on Feb14 Yay!!
They'll air it in Britain next September and, then, here in January 2013.

I think part of Isobel's problem is that, as a doctor's wife and a nurse, she's always felt she knew more about patient care than anyone else, including the local doctor. So, when anyone questions her or goes against her opinion it irritates her. I believe she felt that the care facility at Downton would become her private domain.
murphy7295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
madewy
WTB? Expert

jmar: "I know you don't like Mary you've said so, but I rewatched Epi 4 last night & the way she handled herself with Matthew spoke volumes to me..."

It's true there are many recent changes in personality for the characters. I think the horrors of the war, both psychological and physical, have served to elevate almost everybody's best nature. I like seeing the changes that are taking place among the household members including Mary. I have hope for Mary although she is not my favorite. I wish others could see the changes I see in Edith though. She is amazing.

I'm thinking maybe, because I was one of four sisters...one with whom I had a contentious relationship for many years, that I have some personal issues with Mary. Oy, this is getting too deep for me.

PS: I sure hope I make it until January of next year Murph! I'm really enjoying this series!
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
jmar
WTB? Expert

Or should the 3 of us just book tickets for the UK so we can start watching in September?
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #29
jmar
WTB? Expert

I watched this last episode (5) & it left me or maybe Did they run out of ideas already? Amnesia?! Although I did like the dialogue between Matthew & Mary, dark humor.
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
murphy7295
WTB? Expert

I was talking with another friend of mind yesterday and we both agree that in the end........

Edith will end up with Downton Abbey! .

They'll decide Patrick was really Patrick and that will put him back in line to become Earl Grantham. He will marry Edith who won't care what he looks like because she's the one who loved him in the first place.

Matthew will walk again and will eventually return to Mary. Since Matthew didn't want to be Earl Grantham, he'll go back to London and become Prime Minister or something high ranking.

We're not sure about Sybil and the chauffeur (sp?)

Didn't have a problem with the amnesia but didn't get why he was inserted in one episode and left in the same episode. Maybe he'll return after having extensive plastic surgery.

What I want to know is...who killed Vera Bates?
murphy7295 is offline   Reply With Quote