Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > Who's the Boss? > Who's The Boss?

Who's The Boss? Use this Forum to discuss Who's the Boss? and anything pertaining to the show.

Unread 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
3BeekmanPlace
Platinum Member

My heart goes out to her family and to all of you here who shared a special connection with her.
3BeekmanPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
charmedcherie
WTB? Expert

Madewy was most definitely the unprecedented matriarch of our little cyber-family. Judy, you will always be fondly remembered and missed!!
"I'll tell ya Judith and I are quite a pair. In real life, we're both married — to different people. But I'm in love with her ability; she's a terrific actress, and she's really great at comedy, and I do feel a strong love for her. So I guess that's why it's so easy for the two of us to play at sexual tension."

--Tony Danza on friend and co-star Judith Light

"The love of this woman grounded him..." {Taken from a wtb? special, although I'm not sure which one, lol}
charmedcherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that subject line. There was just no way that could be true. I am so sad to hear about Judy's passing. It seems weird to say you're going to miss someone you never met in person, but she was my friend and I will miss her very much. We used to e-mail back and forth over the last few years. Not all the time, but every so often -- every few months, sometimes longer -- we'd exhange e-mails, update each other, catch up, make each other laugh, talk about the forum and just enjoy each other's ramblings. She'd sometimes tell me about her grandsons or tell stories about her mom and sisters, and she'd gloss over her health issues and give very few details despite my inquiries because she "didn't want to bore me with that." She was always so encouraging and lovely and had that Madewy edge we all love. I really felt like she "got me" and I so very rarely feel that way. She once told me she felt a kinship with me and that touched me, and made me feel less alone and encouraged at a time when I felt kind of lost.

This will sound shmaltzy, but I absolutely mean this. It was always such a comfort to know there was a Madewy out there in the world. You know what I mean? She was such an individual. So amiably brassy. So funny. So witty. So opinionated. So seemingly set in her ways, yet so open to new ideas. So delighted when she saw potential in something, or someone. So... Madewy.

My boss told me about this tribe when a coworker's father-in-law passed away recently. I don't remember where he said they live, but they have this concept they believe in about how there are three types of people: the living, the dead, and the living dead. I absolutely hate using these words in a post about Madewy. But, she is the living dead. The living dead means a piece of you remains alive and vibrant in the people that knew and loved you, in their memories of you and feelings for you, for as long as they remain on this earth. That's clearly the case on this site, and certainly with her friends and family, of course.

We didn't talk everyday or every month, and it's been more than a few months since our last e-mail exchange, but I'll miss her, and always be thankful for her friendship and her belief in me.

Last edited by mich_l81; 09-12-2012 at 01:12 AM.
mich_l81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
SDfrm
Silver Member

Sorry to hear about Judith, I'll miss her comments and stories, I always looked for them when I signed on. She will be missed.
SDfrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
robins99

I don't know how I missed this before, other than the fact I haven't been on here much lately. I can't belive Judy is gone! I was able to spend quite a bit of time with her (actually shared a hotel room with her) on at least 2 different trips to NYC. She was a great friend and watched me grow up in many ways. I count it a privilege to have known her. I honestly can't even get all my thoughts into words right now. She will be very, very missed!

Angela: You would ruin our friendship for love?

Tony: In a second. I'd throw it in the garbage. I'd spit on it. I'd flush it down the toilet.

Angela: (Touched) Oh, Tony, that is so beautiful.
robins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
angie1379
WTB? Expert

I am simply heartbroken. When I first joined this site seven years ago, Judy was the first person to befriend me. When I said I hadn't seen the show for a while and was looking for old episodes, she mailed me a dozen of her own tapes -- and I'd only been a member for a few weeks. We engaged in dozens of in-depths discussion about the show and analyzed every angle. Then, when she, Joyce, Robbin and a few others were going to meet in NY, she invited me along and even paid for my ticket to see Judith in "Colder Than Here." I met her for the first time in LaGuardia Airport and shared a cab to the hotel. She had me laughing the whole way, and I felt like we'd known each other forever. She was a spunky, outspoken, funny, brash, unapologetic person who was proud of her heritage and family, and unashamed of her love of Who's The Boss?

Over the years, we e-mailed and exchanged holiday cards. The last time I saw her was at the Reunion Show in 2005, but we always kept in touch. I will sorely miss her presence and humor around here -- and I'm really going to miss the brilliance, introspection, and wit she had in spades.

Judy, you were one of a kind -- and that gray matter you never gave enough credit to is irreplaceable.

We love you.

ANGELA: But Tony, the best times of my life are with you.
angie1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
madewy
WTB? Expert

Tahnks to all of you who took the time to send your thoghts about judy

lee knecht
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
OakHillsDrive
WTB? Expert

I've been pretty speechless in the time since I found about Madewy and we all know for me that is saying a lot. To me, she was a wonderful writer, an incredible friend and a beloved mentor. To get a good review from Madewy was like receiving the mother load. She didn't waste her words/reviews on just anyone. You always knew where you stood with her and you always knew that when she wrote people listened.

When I was writing my "family" story, she wrote me a review that has always stuck with me. It was funny then, but now leaves me a little sad. We'll miss you Madewy.

Reviewer: madewy Signed [Report This]
Date: 05/10/2008 11:55 am Title: Next in Line

"Just caught up through chapter nine. I've got to tell you OakHills that I always thought Heaven would be peaceful and filled with eternal rest. If your imagination is right than boy o boy am I wrong. I'd better start taking my vitamins for the trip ahead."
OakHillsDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
angie1379
WTB? Expert

Wow, OHD, what a poignant anecdote. Thank you for sharing. I've also been looking back at the many conversations I had with Madewy over the years – and there were a lot! She was always very supportive of new ideas, even when she didn't agree. She encouraged many of us in our writing, and I know her beautiful prose inspired me to want to write better. I still can't quite believe I won't be seeing her name around here anymore, and I know I feel her loss keenly already. Just seeing her familiar avatar above in Lee's post caused a bittersweet double-take. Wherever she is, I know she's making her presence known and welcome, but that still doesn't make me miss her any less.

ANGELA: But Tony, the best times of my life are with you.
angie1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

that Madewy edge we all love...xxxxxsuch an individual...xxxxxso amiably brassy...xxxxxxxx
most knowledgeable...xxxxxgave me a new perspective...xxxxxa wit and insight - unparalleled...xxxxxSo funny, So witty. So opinionated....xxxxx
a beloved mentor...xxxxxa wonderful writer, an incredible friend...xxxxxbrilliance, introspection, and wit...xxxxxa spunky, outspoken, funny, brash, unapologetic person who was proud of her heritage and family, and unashamed of her love of Who's The Boss?...xxxxxthe unprecedented matriarch...xxxxxsuch a signature member...

I love these words you all have used to describe her. That's exactly who she was, and she was very comfortable with who she was. So comfortable that we, who are not always as sure of ourselves, were drawn to her and her undeniable confidence and wisdom. I remember the time I had just moved to Florida and I was having a lot of trouble getting into the apartment that was supposed to be ready for me and wasn't. I had just driven 1200 miles for two days by myself and when the complex put me in their display apartment, the stress of the situation got to me. It was late, and my mother was on vacation, out on the ocean somewhere. I remembered madewy talking about how she was always up late, so, in tears, I called her, the closest and next best person. She was so calming and so reassuring, she brought back my confidence in my ability to handle the situation and did it in a way that made me feel like she was right behind me to catch me in case I tripped up. When I had pulled myself back together I thanked her and told her how much I valued her friendship and her support, and that I wasn't the only one, that many of us on the site felt that way. I told her how much we adored her there, and how much we looked up to her, and what a great person I thought she was. And then, in true madewy style, she gave a little chuckle and said, "yeah, well thank you, but Eileen, I'm also really a b*tch." Of course that had both of us rolling with laughter right on through the tears.

That's a story I've never shared with anyone. But that was our madewy. She endeared us. She was so comfortable with who she was that she literally had us all hoping we'd grow up to be like her. She wielded that commanding presence she had in ways that made me wish I could express myself like that. I remember the day we spent in New York City for the reunion, Jason and I had a flight to catch and Madewy and ReJoys were seeing us off on a busy New York City corner. We were having trouble hailing a cab when Madewy stepped off the curb and pointed her cane and a stare directly at the driver of the next cab coming our direction. Of course he pulled right over. That was our madewy. So the New Yorker, misplaced in Florida. I commented once on her New York accent, and she promptly responded that she didn't realize she had a New York accent (she did) and that she's from Albany, not New York City. (She also corrected my pronunciation and now I know that it's pronounced All-bany, not Al-bany). I loved hearing her stories of Albany, and of her mother, her sisters, her grandchildren, and of course her husband and daughter and son-in-law. Just as in her writing, she could tell you about her family and her experiences in such a way that engrossed you in the story while feeling her intense pride in those people and experiences.

I've found myself thinking about her over these past few days since I've learned this news. I'd be going about my business when a random thought of her would pop into my head, reminding me that she is gone and wouldn't be answering that email I sent her not too long ago. While it saddens me to know that she won't be bestowing me with anymore of her wisdom and advice, I can say that I believe I am a more confident adult and a more self-assured woman because of her. I learned that my thoughts and opinions were my own and if I didn't believe in them, no one else would either. She taught me not to aspire to grow up to be her or anyone else but to aspire to grow into myself. I learned from her to stand proud in being myself.

I saw Judy just not that long ago right before I moved away from Florida. She invited me to spend a couple days as a guest in her home before I moved. I met Lee, her husband, and some of her family. She showed me around her town and shared stories about places and people there. It was a chance to see yet another amazing side of her that we can't possibly get to know simply over the internet. It gave me a wonderful memory of her that I will cherish always. And while I will always miss her dearly, I know that she gave me so many beautiful gifts just knowing her. She made an indelible mark on this site, and I believe, in everyone that was lucky enough to cross her path and get to know her. I hope that she knew how much she was loved. I wish I knew for sure that I had said it to her. I can see that I had better be sure to tell the people who are important to me how much I care about them, and tell them often. And that, is my next lesson from madewy. Rest in peace, our friend.

Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote