Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > General Topics > General Discussions

General Discussions Come here to talk about any topic you would like to discuss! No spamming, please.

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
german-WTB-fan
Silver Member

Need a translation

Hello all,

can anybody please define me the word "prance" or "prancies"?

I haven't found it in any dinctionary, not even in the urban dictionary

All I know is that the words are being used in rather negative meaning. "You're such a prance", "You're such a bunch of prancies", being spoken snidely by the character/actress (not from WTB ).

Anybody give me enlightenment?

I love U.S. tv-series from the 1980s/90s:

"Magnum, P.I.", "The Golden Girls", "Alf", "Who's the Boss?", "Cheers" & "Becker".
german-WTB-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
3BeekmanPlace
Platinum Member

hmmm...not sure. are you certain that's the word they are saying?
3BeekmanPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Mims27
Administrator/Co-Owner

Perhaps it was "pansies" or "pansy"?
one who lacks the appropiate masculinity associated with testosterone. OR someone very pathetic and wimpy, generally used as an insult against both sexes.

Love knows no distance! <3
Mims27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
german-WTB-fan
Silver Member

Hello,

thank you all for wanting to help me

No, the words sound a lot like "prance"/"prancies" to me and so it is quoted here:

iCarly, episode: iTake on Dingo

Look under "Quotes:", anywhere on the second half on the site when scrolling downwards

"Magnum, P.I.", "The Golden Girls", "Alf", "Who's the Boss?", "Cheers" & "Becker".

Last edited by german-WTB-fan; 12-14-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added URL
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
SherryLH
WTB? Expert

Prance: To move in a lively or spirited manner. To move in a proud or insolent manner.
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

My guess is that it's another made-up word, as they tend to do on that show. Just in that quote section alone I saw a bunch of other made-up words, and they even said something about "their banter," which sounds like that's what they do-- banter with a bunch of their own made-up words.

The only prance we have is reindeer prancing through the snow.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
german-WTB-fan
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
Just in that quote section alone I saw a bunch of other made-up words,
Anneli,

thanks for your reply. Would it be possible to list a few of the made-up words here? I, as a German, unfortunately cannot tell which words are made-up and which ones are real

@SherryLH: Thanks for your comment but that can't be meant here.

OFF TOPIC: My deepest expression of condolences to all the friends and families of the victims of the terrible incident in Connecticut yesterday

Unread 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

It's in the way they use the words too. I don't watch this show, but just in what I've seen in a few different places, this is not a good show to try to translate or understand what they're saying in English because they're making up their own words and phrases and using real words in weird ways. It's a kid thing, I think.

Here's some examples of things I'm talking about. While these are real words, no one talks this way and I'm not even sure what some of this means:

I can brain an elephant with this thing!
I'm gonna get swingy with this thing!
Oh, you're such a bunch of prancies!

And besides "prancies," "jank," and "fudgebags" are words that you probably wouldn't hear anywhere else either.

Quote:
All I know is that the words are being used in rather negative meaning.
It's funny that you said that, because that's pretty much all we know too. I think you just have to figure out some of what they say by context, or by the way they use the word.

Just by the dialogue I saw in that one episode, I'm sure every episode is filled with more strange word usage. Although I would guess the kids love it.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann

Last edited by Anneli; 12-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
german-WTB-fan
Silver Member

Anneli,

again, thanks for your reply. I confess I discovered that show randomly on german Nickelodeon and I just LOVE it! It has very weird humor, is very ironic and sarcastic, plus it contains millions of wordplays (i.e. "lolarious is the opposite of hilarious" ). Not to forgot the fantastic combination of main characters played by great actors

But on the other hand I am sure this show is not everybody's taste

Last edited by german-WTB-fan; 12-17-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: duplicate word removed
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Actually I know several adults who love it. Most of them have kids who watch it and they started out just sort of watching over their kid's shoulder and now they have become fond of the show too. I've never seen it, so I have no idea what I'd think about it. I just know in the states here, it's considered a kid's (preteen) show, so I figured that's who it was written for. I can see where it could be clever and entertaining though.

-Mary Ann

Last edited by Anneli; 12-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.