Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > Who's the Boss? > Who's The Boss?

Who's The Boss? Use this Forum to discuss Who's the Boss? and anything pertaining to the show.

Unread 04-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

WTB articles

As a journalism student I have some tricks up my sleeve and access to article databases with vast amounts of stories. It never occured to me before to search for WTB? articles, what's wrong with me?!! I was able to find a LOT of articles about Who's the Boss? or that mention WTB? As far as I can tell, they are not posted anywhere on the site.

I know you guys would be interested in reading them and I'd love to share them with you, but I don't know how. I can't link to them because you need a password. Should I e-mail them to Jason to post on the site? There are too many to just post in a topic. Here's one of the more interesing ones:

Copyright 1989 Nationwide News Pty Limited
Sunday Mail (SA)

November 12, 1989 Sunday

LENGTH: 363 words

HEADLINE: TV's 'The Boss' tells Tony 'I do'

BODY:

NEW YORK: Tony Danza's fans will get the thrill they've wanted

for six seasons when the hunky housekeeper he plays on Who's

The Boss? breaks the bedroom barrier by marrying Angela.

It will be TV's wedding of the year - and could give the show

a sizzling sweeps week, the time when ratings competition peaks.

Danza's character, also called Tony, will move up the social

scale and the business ladder when he walks up the aisle with

his employer, Angela (played by Judith Light). Meanwhile, he

still lives in her house, but they're cooling the passion that

began to bloom this season - and waiting for the wedding night.

"These are very moral people," says Judith. "What are we

going to do? Sneak from room to room because the kids are in

the other room? I think that is very dangerous. The show has

a moral every week and I don't think premarital sex will ever

be one of them."

Executive producers Marty Cohen and Blake Hunter believe viewers

will get a kick out of Tony and Angela sharing the master bedroom

and this will make the six-year-old sitcom hotter than ever.

Writers are stirring up stories in which Angela - the elegant

woman executive - smooths the rough edges of her Italian stallion's

style.

"Tony won't start climbing the corporate ladder enthusiastically,"

says a TV insider, "but he knows that Angela loves him and

wants to give him new opportunities."

That's one reason the character is willing to go to college

and study business. But Angela's plan for polishing Tony will

hit a snare.

"The scheme will boomerang on her when Tony's gorgeous college

professor falls for him," says the insider. "There will even

be a turnabout sexual harassment storyline when Tony refuses

her advances - and gets a D on his term paper."

The on-screen marriage could have off-screen benefits for 40-year-old

Judith Light, who wants to have a baby. She and her real-life

husband, actor Robert Desiderio, could plan for her pregnancy

without posing problems for the plot. Her character would have

to be married for a pregnancy to work on screen.

"Anything else, as we say on the set, is not the right thing to do,"

says Judith.

GRAPHIC: photo: tony danza and judith light; Wedding bells for Tony and Angela
(Tony Danza and JudithLight).
----------------------------------------
So apparently the marriage was supposed to be in the 7th season? They kept the professor storyline, but not the wedding.
I know it's not news that there was originally going to be a wedding, but this article is interesting!
mich_l81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
angie1379
WTB? Expert

I can't believe I'm the first to reply to this! I was out-of-touch for a few days and thought that by the time I was able to reply, this would be old news!

As someone who's always been as interested in the behind-the-scenes, this little glimpse was very enlightening. I wonder what happened to scratch these plans. This article offers a lot of explanation for why season six was downright steamy for a while. The "passion" the writer spoke of was obviously Jamaica, yet the season ends with ... well, you know. My guess would be that everyone eventually realized that a marriage would have to be a "last-season" event, and that seven was not intended to be the last.

It's also interesting that at this point, Tony was NOT supposed to change from business to education, and that the professor story arch was reduced to one episode, in which -- I'm glad -- they decided to take the moral highroad with a woman in a position of power. I wonder what influence Judith had in making the character of Joan not be a cliched, vindictive seductress.

I also don't like the language the writer used about Angela "polishing" Tony. We purists know that the show was about equality and balance, not the superiority of one socioeconomic class over another. Makes me wonder how credible this "insider" was. The one gem in his/her comments is saying that Tony "knows" Angela loves him. Did the writers change their minds about that, too, when they detoured from wedding bells to a night in a motel room with another woman? I know that if I had been the fan then that I am now, I would have been equally mad and hooked to every word if I read this article in 1989 and then watched how season six panned out. On the other hand, I wonder what affect the change in plans had on making viewers so mad that they stopped watching and caused some of the audience decline in season 7. This raises a question that I'd long thought answered: would a marriage have killed or lengthened the show? I don't know, but I'll never underestimate the carefull crafting of a show again.

ANGELA: But Tony, the best times of my life are with you.
angie1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

I always wondered if a marriage would have killed or lengthened the show also, angie1379. After reading that article, it sounded like it would have been great! Although I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade in the seasons that we got. I love them! Well most of it...
I too didn't like the "polishing" comment. We all know Angela had no interest in changing Tony.

Well, I can tell you Judith Light thought a wedding was a good idea. Here is another article:

--------------------

Copyright 1989 Gannett Company Inc.
USA TODAY

January 16, 1989, Monday, FINAL EDITION

SECTION: LIFE; Pg. 3D

LENGTH: 67 words

HEADLINE: She wants a 'Boss' wedding

BODY:

Judith Light thinks characters Angela and Tony should tie the knot on ABC's
Who's the Boss?

''I know what everybody says - that it would create all kinds of problems,
that other shows have tried it and they've had to pull them apart,'' says Light
of her character and that of Tony Danza in the top-10 series.

''But if we got together, I think Tony and I would do a terrific job of it.''

There would have to be a wedding, however.

''Anything else, as we say on the set, is not the right thing to do.''

Light is not sure whether the producers are inclined to follow her advice.
But she expects some huddling in the next few days, as writers try to figure out
where to take the romance this season.
--------------------------------------

I'm sure ABC executives nixed the marriage plot. I know Tony wasn't an advocate either. He said on the WTB reunion on his show that he thought it was (total paraphrasing) not true to the premise of the show, that it was about 2 people that couldn't get together. I wish he would have looked at it as a show about 2 people evolving together (as I do), then maybe he would have changed his mind.

Executives were afraid of losing the sexual tension, but they would have been gaining a whole new set of interesting plots and nuances. Hunter and Cohan were right, viewers would get a kick out of seeing Tony and Angela share the master bedroom. The beginning of that scenario has endless possibilities.

However, I'm still not convinced. I don't really know, I'd have to think about this more.
Unread 04-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

Thanks, angie1379, for that great reply. I'd been bouncing that article around in my head for awhile now and I knew I wanted to respond but I couldn't seem to get my thoughts all together about it. You stated perfectly many of the things I was trying to piece together.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
chrissy9841

Icon12

WOW! I've always wondered how it would be for them to be married. That's so unfortunate Tony and Angela didn't get married. Watching the show I always wanted them to take all the way to the next level. Tony should have supported Judith on them getting together. But, I can see why he didn't. America thrives on suspense and sexual tension. I still wish it would have happened.

Thanks for the info mich81
chrissy9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Whitter
Golden Member

mich81...

How nice of you to share your resources with us! Thank you! The articles you posted were very interesting, especially the one eluding to the wedding in the 7th season.

Personally, I think the 7th season would have been a bit early for a wedding, but I would have loved to see one to close out the show. I'm a sap for those 'and they lived Happily Ever After' endings... not that they didn't end the show that way, I would have just liked to see what the writers/actors would have come up with in regards to a wedding. I'm sure it would have been hilarious and sweet all wrapped up into one 2-hour miniseries (So 2-hour miniseries is stretching it, a girl can dream, can't she?).

I would love to read any more that you are willing to share!
Unread 04-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

You're welcome, I'm happy to share them! I guess they can all just go in this topic. Unfortunatley I don't have much time these days to post them all. Most of, well all of, my posting takes place between classes and work. Here's another one though, from a while later. I'll get them all on here eventually.

161 of 207 DOCUMENTS

Copyright 1990 Gannett Company Inc.
USA TODAY

August 16, 1990, Thursday, FINAL EDITION

SECTION: LIFE

LENGTH: 371 words

HEADLINE: Still never lovers, ever friends on 'Boss'

BYLINE: Jefferson Graham

DATELINE: HOLLYWOOD

BODY:

Tuesdays from 8 to 9 will be the Tony Danza hour on ABC this fall.
Danza's Who's the Boss? returns for a seventh season, followed by Baby Talk, the TV version of the hit movie Look Who's Talking, with Danza as the voice of the baby.

On Boss, meanwhile, Danza's character, Tony Micelli, will get a tyke of his own next season. He adopts a little boy - just in time for the November ratings sweeps.

''Our kids grew up on us,'' says Blake Hunter, who executive produces the show with Martin Cohan. ''We had something really special between Tony and the kids, and we wanted to get it back.''

Boss is the story of housekeeper Tony and his daughter, played by teen star Alyssa Milano, who live with advertising executive Angela Bower (Judith Light) and her 14-year-old son, Jonathan (Danny Pintauro). Angela's mom, Mona, (Katherine Helmond), lives over the garage.

Despite enough sparks to set a three-alarm fire, Tony and Angela have never consummated their relationship beyond a few kisses. At the end of last season, Tony dated an old flame, making Angela jealous.

As this season opens, both will decide they are better off as housemates and friends.

But after six seasons, shouldn't they get together?

''The fun of the show is keeping the ball in the air,'' Danza says.
''Morally, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of having us jump into bed,
especially when there are kids involved.

''And where could the stories go? We do it, and then I jump up and go clean the kitchen? I don't know if that works.''

Tony's grown daughter, Samantha, is now in college, at the same school where Tony takes classes. This season, Sam shares classes with dad, who gets to voice his opinions on her campus life and dates.

After a rocky start, Boss has been an ABC Tuesday night powerhouse since premiering in the fall of 1984. Yet this season it dropped out of the top 10, which the producers blame on CBS' popular Rescue 911.

At the recent network affiliate meetings, CBS and NBC officials said Boss was ''tired'' and vulnerable in the ratings. But veteran advertising buyer Paul Schulman says Boss ''has a lot of life left. Growing Pains is tired. Alan Thicke needs to look for a new job. But Tony Danza's still a big TV star.''

GRAPHIC: PHOTO; b/w (Tony Danza)

CUTLINE: DANZA: His character will adopt a little boy next season.
Unread 04-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
lightfan
Golden Member

Thank you very much for sharing these articles with us! They are very interesting.
lightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
robins99

It's funny to read about all the shows that were on at the same time as WTB? I remember watching "Baby Talk" and I don't think my parents and I ever missed an episode of "Rescue 911". Thanks for posting the articles!

Angela: You would ruin our friendship for love?

Tony: In a second. I'd throw it in the garbage. I'd spit on it. I'd flush it down the toilet.

Angela: (Touched) Oh, Tony, that is so beautiful.
robins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
mich_l81
WTB? Expert

I have literally 5 minutes before class, so I only have time to post one (they take a while to sift through because I can't see what the articles in the list are about until I open them)
Anyway, here's another. It's not on purpose, but it's sort of fun this way, like installments.

Copyright 1991 Gannett Company Inc.
USA TODAY

April 29, 1991, Monday, FINAL EDITION

SECTION: LIFE; Pg. 3D

LENGTH: 426 words

HEADLINE: 'Who's the Boss?' takes a romantic turn

BYLINE: Jefferson Graham

DATELINE: HOLLYWOOD

BODY:

When 7-year-old Who's the Boss? slipped out of the top 20 this year, it seemed headed for its pink slip.

Yet ABC's longest-running current sitcom has just been renewed for an eighth season.

''We see a major star in Tony Danza,'' explains ABC executive vice president Ted Harbert. ''Someone who is still immensely popular with the public. As you get into the sixth and seventh year, an aging process does occur, and we admit that the show doesn't force you to watch like it used to.''

So ABC and executive producers/creators Martin Cohan and Blake Hunter decided to do something they had resisted for seven years - get Tony and Angela (Judith Light) together.

Tuesday, Who's the Boss? begins a two-part story line which has Tony and Angela sharing a train berth in next week's finale.

The new season begins in September with a five-episode story arc that pays off with the duo going for the gusto.

''We've been tap dancing on it a long time,'' Hunter says. ''We're going to get back to basics. We're going to move the relationship forward.''

Harbert hopes the plan will ''bring new life into the show, just like Cheers got a second wind when Kirstie Alley joined.''

One question remaining is the status of Alyssa Milano, who plays housekeeper Tony's daughter Samantha.

She has said that she would leave the show at the end of the season and wanted to go to college next year.

Milano was unavailable for comment, but Harbert says, ''As far as I'm
concerned, she's going to be on the show.''

''Our understanding is that she's coming back,'' Hunter says, ''but if she wants to go to school, we've got no problem with that.''

One child who won't be on the show next year is Jonathan Halyalkar, who joined Boss this season to play Billy, Tony's new 5-year-old adopted child.

''We're moving in a direction of sex and commitment,'' Hunter says, ''and it wouldn't make sense to have him there. We had no problem with the boy; he was terrific. But we want to take the show into a romantic direction.''

Boss has been dominant in its 8 p.m. Tuesday time slot for years - helping to launch Roseanne, The Wonder Years and Growing Pains. For years it was a top 10 show. But this season, CBS' Rescue 911 ate into its audience.

ABC recently tested Boss on Mondays, where it did well, ranking fourth for the week. There's also talk ABC will slip Dinosaurs into Boss' time slot, and move Boss to another night. But that doesn't concern Hunter.

''I remember when The Jeffersons was moved to Sundays in its seventh season; it got a whole new lease on life.''