Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > Who's the Boss? Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction Challenges

Fan Fiction Challenges Use this forum to place writing challenges, which can influence FanFic authors to spark ideas for stories to submit to WTB?R.

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
OakHillsDrive
WTB? Expert

Embedded Fan Fiction Trivia Challenge

I would have posted this in the comments, because I like to leave that for spotlighting new authors/stories. (If I am rewrong, Anneli feel free to transfer this.)

Those of you who have read my stories 1971, Shadows and Dancing and Stuck in Iowa know that I like to leave pieces of different episodes/clues throughout my stories. I just feel it makes them more T&A. I thought it would be fun to play a trivia game to see if you were thinking what I was thinking.

In my story, Stuck in Iowa, I can think of at least five episode references and four personal facts about T&A that I embedded. See how many you can find. If you find more than that, you know me better than I do.

Have fun!
OakHillsDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
jmar
WTB? Expert

embedded

OHD: Don't know if I any good at this, but I think I noted the follow episode references:

scary movie: Eye on Angela (& waking up in bed together with surpise)
superman: episode of Billy's birthday party
picnic: 2 on a billboard
snapped bra strap: Walk on the mild side
T carried A upstairs: First kiss

and personal facts:

watching TV & eating popcorn together
finishing each others' sentences
old songs (such as Vic Damone) (oh yeah, I head that back in 1960-something "Singing in the Rain" movie was first relased today)
Angela notes the excitement & enthusiasm of Tony when he decides on his teaching major - much like his enthusiasm for coaching in "Stuck in Ioway"

Let me know what I missed
jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
OakHillsDrive
WTB? Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar
scary movie: Eye on Angela (& waking up in bed together with surpise)
superman: episode of Billy's birthday party
picnic: 2 on a billboard
JMAR, those are ones that I hadn't even thought of. And yes I guess you are right about all of your answers. So there are still at least 4 episode references up for grabs and at least 2 personal facts.

Great job thought. It's like I always say, "You all know my subconscious better than I do."
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
madewy
WTB? Expert

This has been an interesting topic for me to ruminate on for a few days Oakhillsdrive. And this is my conclusion about your technique.

Your stories do carry many allusions to previous stories and you use them exceptionally well but I don't feel like the references you use, or any other writer on these boards use, are so much hidden (embedded, if you prefer) clues as they are simply part of Tony's and Angela's history and must be included in some way, to some level, in what we all write. All we know as viewers is that history. So the viewers that also write WTB? fanfiction, need to include some of that history in their stories, either alluding to them or including them in overt language, if our stories are to be accurate as well as smartly written and true to the entire story of Angela and Tony.

One could not write an auto-biography without including one's own history. I know that is an obvious and simplistic statement but it's all I can compare my point to at the moment with out making this even longer.

Tony and Angela have a limited history of only eight years. If one wants to try to keep the characters true to the original concept of them, and I think most of you want to and know I want that, then our writers must rely on those small details that maybe our readers will have temporarily forgotten or preferably, even recognize and and identify with. I love that you nudge the reader with many of those faded moments. I believe it is the only way we can write our fictions, even those brilliant, entertaining and skillfully contrived stories that are born from the clever imaginations that abound here and have absolutely nothing to do with any episode. You know Oakhills...just the way you do it. That you have been doing this instinctively informs even more about your writing skills.

Last edited by madewy; 03-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.
madewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
OakHillsDrive
WTB? Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by madewy
You know Oakhills...just the way you do it. That you have been doing this instinctively informs even more about your writing skills.
Now, now. You're making me blush. I was thinking of my game as a little hide and seek game just for fun. You actually make me sound intellectual. And believe me, "Ilda" and "intellectual" are never too words that are used together.