Home | Articles | Bloopers | Episode Guide | Fan Fiction | FAQ | Forums | Gallery | Links | Transcripts
The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums
WTB?R Home • Message Forums

Go Back   The Who's the Boss? Resource :: Message Forums > Who's the Boss? Fan Fiction > Fan Fiction Comments

Fan Fiction Comments Read a Fan Fiction on WTB?R that you really like? Talk about it here!

Unread 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Anneli
Administrator/Co-Owner

A Word About the Fanfic Section

I posted this in another thread, but I want to sticky it to the top of this forum so that it's here for all to see. There's been more than 3 writers who have communicated similar thoughts to me, so I assume others might feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli
I know it's an instant world nowadays, but I sometimes feel the need to let you guys know...(and not just you, but all the other people who stopped in the middle of a story because they felt it wasn't getting enough attention)...I feel the need to let you guys know that the fanfic section is not an instant world. Activity over there ebbs and flows, always has. Stories gain more reviews and more reads the longer they're there, especially times like now when there's not much new coming in because it gives readers a chance to read other things that are there. We have people who wander in and out only a couple of times a year or some who read but don't always review because they read a bunch in one sitting and some who don't review because they are nervous or scared to leave a review. We even have some who don't review because a lot of writers don't want a constructive review and would rather have either a "good job" or no review at all. But for most members I think it's a time issue. I read all the time without reviewing every single thing because I have a lot of other things going on, but then I may come back months later and read it again (or read it for the first time) and leave a review then. We've also got a lot of readers out there too who don't review because they aren't registered members on the site. They just come in and enjoy the good stuff we deliver. I always feel bad for them, because they may be enjoying an author's story, only to have it stopped cold. I think that's the case with this story...did you know that it has over 5000 reads? 5223 to be exact. If you look on the "Top Ten Most Read Stories" in the fanfic section, this story is the tenth most read story. That's a lot of people who've read your work and are probably still reading your work. It's also the fifth most reviewed story. I understand that you might be busy over the next few months, and you can definitely wait a few months between posting chapters if that's what fits your life, we've all done that on occasion... but I sure hate to see you walk away and leave all those readers hanging because you were under the impression that interest is waning. I also would really hate to see you have completed chapters that you don't post, because anyone who is reading your story but isn't registered on the site would have a difficult time requesting the chapters from you, and then would have to give you their email or whatever to get the chapters from you. It just seems silly to me, when you can just post them for all to enjoy as they have been.

I guess I feel like if an author starts a story that they have somewhat of an obligation to the reader to try to finish it. The Fanfic Police aren't going to come after you if you don't, and there's no time limit on finishing, but I just would really like all of you guys to realize that although we all love feedback, the amount of reviews or comments you get does not at all correspond to interest in the story, and that there are people out there actively reading your stories.

To find the stats on your stories you can go to Table of Contents in your story and near the middle of the list there's a number of reads. (I think you guys have access to that). That is a better gauge of who's reading your story and how well it's being received. You can also click "Top Tens" in the links at the top of the page and see which stories are the most read or reviewed (I think you guys have access to that too, but let me know if you don't) and even if you're story isn't listed there, you can look at the stats for those stories and be able to see how yours compares.

Lastly, I want you guys to understand that there are some writers here who have built a fanbase and will get more reviews whenever they write anything because they have spent years writing and building that fanbase. Don't compare yourself to those people just yet. You'll have to give it time (and finish stories!) to build a reliable fanbase.

I'm not just talking to you, I'm talking to anyone who has stories in there. I just would really hate to see our fanfic section become The Land of Unfinished Work.

It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me. It's not how many times I say I love you... it's how much I really do.
-Mary Ann
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Mims27
Administrator/Co-Owner

I would like to add that I am one of those people who doesn't like to read a fic until the whole thing is posted and the same thing goes for reviews. I would much rather review it as a whole rather then give a "good job" for every chapter. So if a fic is stopped half way then I wont be reading it because what's the point right? So please don't stop posting your fics because you feel you're not getting enough reviews or reads because trust me people are reading them and enjoying them.

Love knows no distance! <3
Mims27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
laia
Platinum Member

I read the stories whenever I have time and it is not always when they are posted. Above all since one year, because I am very busy.
I really enjoy the fictions . And I am always sad when they are not finished .